My name is Michael Brennan & I swam across the English Channel in August 2012 to:
- Raise £25k for Kidney Research UK, the leading charity funding research into the treatment and prevention of all kinds of kidney disease.
- Increase awareness about organ donation so that more people register and to promote debate about the transplant system.
Follow the links to find out more about the charity, the challenge and how to donate.
- Over 1.7 million people suffer from kidney disease
- 11% of all deaths are due to or associated with kidney failure
- Over 10,000 people are on dialysis
In the UK:
- Over 3 million people suffer from kidney disease
- 3 people a day die in the UK while on the organ waiting list
- 9 out of 10 people on the waiting list need a new kidney
In the US:
- Over 35 million people suffer from kidney disease
- More than 100,000 are waiting on the transplant list